You can get automatic updates via the "EQUINOX-3D News" mailing list. If you'd like subscribe, just let me know.
A brief version history
- Fast, physically accurate global illumination renderer:
All images were rendered with EQUINOX-3D:
Before (direct light only)
Now (direct + indirect light)
3D model by Marko Dabrovic
- Intuitive user interface. No arcane parameters to tweak. In fact, there's only one extra parameter:
- Unrestricted shader support: any new or existing ray-tracer shader will automatically work for indirect light as well!
- More accurate Ward's anisotropic shader with importance-sampling.
- Reflected and transmitted caustics:
- Programmatically verified against multiple reference data, including the official Cornell box and Smits & Jensen's reference scenes.
- Nearly zero memory overhead.
- More accurate transparent objects with physically accurate volumetric absorption (Beer-Lambert law).
- The interactive, multi-threaded ray-tracer is much more stable and faster on multi-core CPUs (its speed scales better with the number of cores).
- The ray-tracer uses automatically optimized KD-trees, which is MUCH FASTER, and no more voxel grid resolution "tweaking" necessary!
- All texture blending modes work.
- Manipulators (3D widgets for transforms)!
- Better-looking user interface, including global-illumination rendered 3D icons, thanks to a new shader "Contstant with shadow":
- Box-primitive generates default UVs (apply UV texture mapping):
- Hierarchies: the order of children under a parent and the order of root Nodes within the Scene may finally be changed:
- Animation key-frame can be added separately for Model translate and rotate.
- Transform-compensation now works for Node / Branch disconnect (from hierarchy).
- Rectangle-select works for Nodes and Objects on 3D views.
- In multi-select mode (Shift key), rectangle-select now starts from the previous selection (as opposed to an 'empty' selection). This is much more useful.
- "Freeze rotations and scaling" tool.
- Duplicate with repeat has interactive construction history:
- Duplicate and Duplicate with repeat preserves Node custom data.
- Cardinal Spline "tension" is now adjustable.
- Tooltip delay is adjustable.
- Improved renderer:
- Fast and physically accurate area lights, using adaptive stratified sampling:
- Specular highlights are correct when viewed through reflections and refractions.
- Faster ray-tracing.
- Basic key-frame animation editing works now and supports undo/redo.
- Animation infrastructure improvements.
- Undo/redo works for normal Spline CV deleting (add CV, delete CV etc.).
- Undo/redo works for "Merge Geometries".
- Undo/redo standardized (moved to "Edit" menu and to Ctrl+Z / Ctrl+Y).
- "File->New scene" resets view modes and cameras.
- Revolve tool works correctly for all revolution axes and it visualizes the revolution axis.
- Duplicate tool can clone Animations as well.
- COLLADA 1.4.1 import (animation, skinning, polylists, common-profile materials). (in addition to 1.3 import/export).
- COLLADA 1.4.1 export (animation, common-profile materials).
- More user-interface improvements:
- Posted menus and menu items highlight on mouse-over and
- You can let go of the mouse button while browsing through menus
- Better-behaving text-fields
- Better looking buttons, list, menus scrollbars etc. and faster UI updates
- Better material editor.
- Schematics window defaults to a nicer view.
- More reliable keyboard handling for transient modes (e.g. hold down a key to...).
- The interactive ray-tracer is Multi-threaded!
- Automatically detects the number of CPUs/cores and runs in parallel.
- Nearly twice as fast on dual-core CPUs.
- Improved user interface responsiveness during rendering (the UI has its own thread).
- It "plays nicely" with progressive-refinement.
- Improved water simulation plugin:
- Improved terrain generator:
- Better-looking and faster user interface:
- Package for Intel-based Macs.
- The Mac version automatically starts X11 (as of v0.9.1-2).
- Undo/redo (finally :) ) works for deleting PolyGroups, Polygons and holes in Faces.
- Improved animation view: highlights animation curves for selected objects, you can frame to selected curves etc.
- "Separate points" tool (unwelds selected mesh vertices)
- Cleanup tool correctly transfers skin-deformation info to the resulting Mesh.
- "Unmerge points" option in cleanup tool (unwelds mesh vertices that have different texture coordinates, normals etc.)
- HDR cubemaps can be mipmapped
- "Direct" cubemap texture-mapping for Cg (in addition to reflection and refraction cubemaps)
- Duplicate with repeat can duplicate along a surface (of a Mesh):
- Mouse scroll-wheel controls the camera and works in the file finder.
- Fixed sequence-rendering, Face export and Spline editing bugs.
- PolyGroup dialog box can automatically follow selection change.
- PolyGroup dialog box shows vertex attributes.
- "Save main window" moved from the Debug menu to the Window menu.
- The long-awaited Mac OS-X version is available!
(see download page)
- Greatly improved Cg renderer:
- The built-in code-generator is capable of automatically generating billions(!) of highly optimized
shader variations, based on the user-interface settings (number of textures, normal maps etc.).
All without you having to program Cg shaders!
- More texture blending modes
- Normal maps can be mimpapped
- Unlimited number of lights with (hardware-accelerated) shadows *
- Fast HDR (high dynamic range) rendering *
- HDR texture support *
- Reflection and refraction cubemap support:
Direct support for tangent-space and object-space normal maps.
Improved material editor.
"I" key sets the interest point to point on surface under mouse pointer. Very handy!
Undo works for reorienting IK joints and moving effectors
IK effectors can be animated
Construction history saved for Revolve, Extrude and Skin tools in COLLADA.
Construction history cloned when duplicating objects.
All Spline and Spline segment attributes are saved in COLLADA.
(Spline)Faces are saved/restored from COLLADA files.
Face holes can be deleted.
Improved file-selection boxes with options and double-click (finally) working
* Requires an NVidia FX6600 or better graphics card
- Greatly improved schematic view:
You can collapse and expand branches, choose from 3 different connector types and use a horizontal or a vertical layout:
Also, plugin programmers can design their own 3D icons for custom node types:
- "Spherical" texture-mapping added! It automatically finds the minimum enclosing sphere of the geometry:
- "Angle-map" and "Mirror-sphere" texture-mappers added to allow for HDR enviroment-mapping and lighting virtual objects with natural light.
The former lets you use these images directly in EQUINOX-3D (by mapping it on an inside-out sphere).
The latter allows you to take a photograph of a reflective sphere and directly use the image as an environment or lightmap in EQUINOX-3D!
You can also convert it to a cube-map etc. by simply setting the camera optics in EQX to "cube-map".
EQUINOX-3D solves the complex quartic equation to "inverse-reflect" rays off the virtual mirror-ball (you can specify the actual ball radius and viewing distance), resulting in accurate environment maps.
For example, this image was created by using a high dynamic range environment map, from a christmas tree ornament.
- Included "icm" (image compositor) command-line tool can combine multiple exposure photographs into an HDR image. It accepts 8 and 16-bit (per channel) images (e.g. you can use RAW digital camera images after converting them with "dcraw -4 -v -w -m -b 1.00 -r 1.00 -l 1.00").
- The ray-tracer got about 10% faster when using area lights.
- Support for 16-bit TIFF and PNG images.
- "Extrude" and "Extrude along spline" lay out the UV coordinates, so if you UV-map a texture, it will have a nice automatic texture-mapping.
- "Shift CVs" tool in the Spline attributes dialog box.
- Spline invert correctly re-assigns the per-segment data.
© 1992-2008 By Gabor Nagy